Friday, December 11, 2009

What's in a name?

Greetings to all,
I have created this blog for any and all of those interested. In the upcoming month, I will take up residence on the small island of Rusinga, in Lake Victoria. I look forward to sharing my experiences with you. I hope my journey and the journey we share on this blog will be both enlightening and educational.

Adhiambo is a common name in West Kenya, where mostly the Luo tribe of Kenya resides. Most Luo surnames are a description of the person's birthday. Adhiambo, or Odhiambo (if you are a man), means born in the late afternoon or evening. I was given this name by my Mwalimu (teacher) during my last trip to Kenya because I was born around 6pm. I often would introduce myself as Becca Adhiambo and the children would giggle and think I was crazy. I look forward to many more introductions as Becca Adhiambo.

Safari means to go on a journey in Swahili, the language of much of East Africa.  And that is exactly what I am doing, embarking on a new journey...stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Becca's mobile number is either 0112540720269244 or 011254720269244 - The number she gave versus the number that came up on the caller ID are different - There was an extra number "0"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy NY2k10 - Tried to give you a call off both numbers the operator does not like me - Hope that you had a great time bringing in the New Year with some Tusker Larger

    ReplyDelete