Monday, January 25, 2010

Onge Wach (all is good)

We left Rusinga and headed to the Masai Mara for a real Kenyan safari. Having to leave Rusinga left a deep pain in my chest, but it was nice knowing we were headed to such an amazing place. We arrived late in the afternoon the first night at our "campsite". It was funny, I thought we'd actually be camping in the Mara, but these were beautiful permanent tents set up with running water and electricity from 630-930 each night to recharge our cameras. There was even HOT water (and I mean hot, it was heated from a wood burning stove and then directly shuttled to my skin).
Our game drives were a success to say the least. The highlight for me was the final drive at 6am watching the sun rise over the Kenyan Savannah...breath taking. We saw the big five and then some: Simba lions, water buffalo, a black rhino, a leopard, elephants galore, giraffes, hippos, zebras, monkeys, and a cheetah.
The leopard we spoted was up in a tree, as we sat there and watched him, he decided to climb out of the tree, walk in front of our car, stop, look at me, growl and stare. I got a wee bit nervous, but he then walked away as the driver growled back when he started the safari vehicle. Scary, but amazing. I will post pictures of this beautiful creature.
We then took the night bus to Mombasa, one of my favorite cities in Kenya second only to the islands, of course. The night bus can be quite scary, dodging oncoming traffic, playing chicken with gas carrying semis, dust filling the hot, humid air, but nothing a little Benadryl cannot take care of :) Overall, another exciting transportation journey. Mombasa is a beach city that reminds me of medical school in St. Maarten, but also quite different. The city is eclectic and alive, filled with people from all walks of life. The beach reminds me of home, but hearing the imam calling prayer off in the distance reminds me I am very far from it. It was difficult for us to communicate here as they speak only Khiswahili, a language foreign to us as we learned quite a bit of Luo in West Kenya. We relaxed on the beach, befriended some Masai warriors who gave us free Masai jewels, walked up and down the streets of old town, and just had a great time. The dhow ride along the north coast of Mombasa was a highlight for me. As I watched the sunset again on another successful trip to Kenya, I'm reminded why I returned to so many familiar places...The people I had met along the way.  I had the opportunity to meet up with an old friend in Mombasa from my last visit and he, and his friend took us around the city a few nights. It was great to catch up with old friends.
Now, as I sit in Nairobi, awaiting to catch my plane back home, all I can think about is "when can I come back?"
I cannot wait to get back out to Rusinga or Mfangano to see what changes have taken place since this visit. I cannot wait to see and treat patients again, such a humbling experience.
I cannot thank all the friends who helped us along the way.
To Alphonce (alphie, alph, alphonso, alphonses, sampson, king, director, etc :), thank you from the bottom of my heart. You were an amazing host and we would have been lost without you. Just know I am there with you in my heart and I look forward to returning.
To Dan, your smiling face again was a sight to see. Thank you for taking us to your home, showing us around Nairobi, helping us plan our journey from afar and just being a great friend.
To Deepen and Jawar, thank you for showing us around Mombasa...it was fantastic to see you again, catch up on the wonderful changes in your lives and great to be in such a beautiful city. Congrats!
And to Josephine and Mark, thank you for allowing us to infiltrate your home at 430 am (or minus 3hrs in Kenya time) and being so gracious. It was great to see you again and Mark, I look forward to your visit to Milwaukee in March.
 And to the people of Kenya, thank you once again, for being the most gracious and welcoming people I have ever encountered. You have the most beautiful country.
There are so many more that I left out (pole sana), and when I think of you, know that I am thankful and you are all welcome in America for a visit, Karibu sana and orwaki ahyinia.

Good bye Kenya, Oriti Ahyinia and Kwaheri. I will be back so soon...until then...Asante Sana, Ero Kamano and, of course, ONGE WACH!!
Sawa sawa....
Becca Adhiambo

1 comment:

  1. sadness times a million, but also good times times a million. i will never forget it. hope you're onge wach back in mil-town.
    atieno

    ReplyDelete